Microsoft does it as usual! Introducing one of the most terrific features on Window 10- Cortana, Microsoft has faced by bringing this outstanding, progressive innovation making work efficient as well as effective, on desktop and tablet. No less than a robotic assistant, it is eternally designed to benefit any individual with day-to-day tasks. It has been devised in a way that helps you take a look at places nearby, maintain and regulate calendar events or even have a normal conversation.
Undoubtedly, Cortana is functioned to initiate trackpad reminders from day to day for desktops. It is necessary to keep a keen eye on your laptop’s touchpad to ensure it’s working and protect from any foreign material. Any defective or dirty touchpad can also cause Cortana to come off occasionally. Cleanse the trackpad with any clean, dry wipe or cloth to brush off any dirt and dust. is a notable addition to Windows 10 family, but nonetheless over time, it has given some technical errors such as Windows 10 Cortana Keeps Popping Up to several individuals! Here we’ll talk about all the issues people face, their causes, and solutions as well.
Why Windows 10 Cortana Keeps Popping Up?
Some of the causes why windows 10 Cortana keeps popping up are as below:
- Cortana settings
- Mouse settings
- Touchpad settings
- Default gesture settings
- Clashing screensaver
- Taskbar tidbits settings
- Corrupted window files etc.
How to Fix Windows 10 Cortana Keeps Popping Up:
As there is not just one but several probable reasons for why the search box comes into sight. Luckily, there are various methods or tips & tricks to resolve this issue so without any further delay let’s look into how to fix Windows 10 Cortana Keeps Popping Up can be fixed with the below-mentioned troubleshooting steps.
Solution 1: Troubleshoot Touchpad to fix Windows 10 Cortana Keeps Popping Up:
Cortana is functioned to initiate trackpad reminders from day to day for desktops. It is necessary to keep a keen eye on your laptop’s touchpad to ensure it’s working and protect from any foreign material. Any defective or dirty touchpad can also cause Cortana to come off occasionally. Cleanse the trackpad with any clean, dry wipe or cloth to brush off any dirt and dust.
Solution 2: Disable Cortana to fix Windows 10 Cortana Keeps Popping Up:
Following are the steps are given below to completely shake off the error:
1. Select the Cortana icon in the taskbar (small circle) to open it.
2. Select the three vertical dots on the Cortana app, situated on upper left corner.
3. Choose Settings.
4. Select Keyboard shortcut.
5. Switch off the Keyboard shortcut. Restart your PC to apply the changes.
6. After restarting, replay steps 1-3 and choose Voice activation.
7. Go to Voice activation permissions.
8. Turn off the Let Cortana response to the “Cortana” keyword.
Solution 3: Enable Battery Saver to fix Windows 10 Cortana Keeps Popping Up:
Initiating Windows Battery Saver is an excellent way to mend the Cortana that keeps popping up the problem. The main function of Battery Saver is designed in a way to disable the assistant’s wake word automatically. So to complete it inefficient as well as effective manner, this is the perfect method. On the taskbar, tap the battery icon and click the Battery Saver icon in the battery slab.
Solution 4: Deactivate “Hey Cortana” Voice Command:
By default, Cortana is configured to always listen to the ‘Hey Cortana’ wake word. At times, Cortana is incapable to understand what is being spoken and can take command on its own. You can impair it by going into Cortana settings very easily.
Tap on the start menu and type in Cortana. A tab that checks out Cortana & Browses settings will emerge. Click on it and a new page will open. Lastly, search for the setting that says Let Cortana react to Hey Cortana and turn off the alternative.
Solution 5: Disable Cortana via Registry:
Refining and hacking the windows 10 registry is one such trick that will pass on to disable Cortana in Windows 10. But it is necessary to keep in mind that before making any kind of editing in the registry one must have created a backup.
1. Press Windows key + R to open Run.
2. Now, type Regedit in it and hit enter.
3. Now, Once the registry editor window opens up, browse to the following location from the left side menu- Policies, Microsoft, Windows, Windows Search.
4. Right-click the “Windows Search” tab just devised in the left pane and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
5. Double click on Name the value “Allow Cortana” pane.
6. Now straight away assign the value to “0”.
7. Lastly, shut the registry editor and reboot your PC to eliminate the Cortana.
Solution 6: Turn Off Trackpad Gestures:
An obsolete or distorted touchpad driver could be the major reason why one faces touchpad gestures now and then. Following are the instructions to disable the touchpad from your Windows Settings:
1. Go to the windows icon on the lower-left corner, and select the gear icon leading to Window settings.
2. Select the Devices tab.
3. Select the Touchpad option in the left pane, then switch it Off.
4. This will automatically turn off the touchpad when you plug in the mouse, keep the touchpad on when the mouse is linked.
5. You can scroll down to Touchpad Sensitivity according to your convenience.
6. For later on to personalize scroll onto three-finger gestures and four-finger gestures.
7. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select Reset
8. Move to the bottom of the screen and click on reset to restore the default settings.
Solution 7: Update Windows 10
There’s a chance that the occurring issue is caused by an outworn version of Windows 10. There’s a possibility that the problem is caused by an outdated version of Windows 10. One should make sure that there is no such issue and if it’s there then ensured that you are functioning the latest version of the operating system.
1. Click the Start button.
2. Click on Settings.
3. Click Update & Security.
4. Click Check for updates.
5. If there are any updates available then assure it is installed.
This is the simplest solution; Windows has a fixed troubleshooter in which you can easily find and mend the issue.
1. Scroll to the windows setting from the start menu and select Taskbar settings.
2. Further, on Taskbar settings click on Home and update and security, then you can find the troubleshooting on the left panel.
3. Tap on Troubleshoot and find Search & Indexing.
4. Operate the Troubleshooter and this will fix the issue.
Solution 9: Turn off finger tapping:
This method is suitable only for notebooks with an accurate touchpad. To keep an eye that if your laptop’s touchpad is correct or not, please follow the steps below:
1. Begin with the Settings app by clicking the Settings icon in the left panel of the Start menu.
2. Click the labeled second icon Devices (Bluetooth, printers, etc.
3. Tap on Mouse and touchpad option to disclose various settings.
4. Now lastly under the Touchpad pane, if your notebook is equipped with a precision touchpad, options of the turn-off and on will appear and here you go to turn on or off the fingertip feature accordingly.
Solution 10: Disable Cortana on Lock screen:
To eliminate Cortana from your computer’s lock screen, all you need to do is go onto settings. One can type anything in the Cortana search bar and click on the cogwheel there.
Once you’re on the Settings page, scroll down to where it is written Lock Screen. An option appears on the screen that says Use Cortana even when device is locked. Reboot your PC to save changes and this will disable Cortana on Windows 10 lock screen. If by chance, in the future you need to enable this feature, simply go to Settings > Cortana and you’re done.
Solution 11: Fix the keys:
To ensure if it is a Windows issue or a keyboard issue, open the on-screen keyboard and go through and see if the same keys are not working on that. To proceed with the troubleshooting, follow the below steps:
1. Press Win logo key and I together to open Windows settings.
2. Here, tap on Update & Security and locate “Troubleshoot” in the left side pane.
3. Now as you will tap on Troubleshoot, you will get an option to run troubleshoot. Locate “Keyboard” from the list and tap to proceed with the troubleshooting process.
4. Now, let the process complete and hereafter this method restarts your PC.
Solution 12: Install Touchpad Driver:
One probably already has the most recent drivers, but after a while or day to day use, some issues start to occur and one of the easiest solutions is to manually update or reinstall a driver given below with the following steps:
1. Enter device manager in the search bar and select Device Manager.
2. Then right-click on the types to see the name of devices. (or press and hold) the one you wish to update.
3. Choose Search itself for the new version of driver software.
4. Choose Update Driver you’d like to.
Solution 13: Use MSB Mouse:
The keyboard and mouse are essential accessories to help you navigate around in the case of a computer. But when we use a device in our daily routine it’s normal for it to worn out, like in this case the MSB mouse stops working and starts giving a glitch.
Given below are several methods one could give a try to find a solution.
1. Cross-check Connections
2. Enable USB Mouse
3. Reinstall USB Mouse Drivers
4. Operate Hardware Troubleshooter
Frequently asked questions:
Well, Cortana is fun to talk to! But if it is not working then? Yes, we can feel your pain!
But as long as Tweak Library is here, you will get the solutions.
Here we will reveal the best resolutions to frequently asked questions like, how to fix Cortana not working in Windows 10.
Question 1.How can we change the Cortana icon? What are the methods we can use?
Solution: Ensure that the Hey Cortana feature is activated
You need to make sure that Cortana is operating. To find out, if it is enabled or not follow the below steps:
- Type settings in the search box > and click on Cortana.
- Now, check if Hey Cortana is enabled in the right lane. Move the slider to right if its not working. This will help fix Cortana not working on Windows 10.
Question 2: What are the steps to search Cortana?
Solution 1: Try using PowerShell
There are chances that when we run a new task in Windows 10 it goes well. Hence to fix Cortana not searching follow the below process:
- Begin with pressing Esc + Shift +Ctrl keys collectively.
- On the top bar select File. Select Run New Task.
- This will open a new box where you need to enter PowerShell and check to “Create this task with administrative privileges”
- In the blue box, enter the commands.
- Close the PowerShell box and restart your PC.
This will help fix the searching issue.
Question 3: How do you look for missing Cortana Icon in windows 10?
Solution: To get back Cortana icon, right-click on the taskbar, here you will find an option of Show Cortana Button as shown in the below image. One must make sure to keep a check on the Show Cortana button to make the icon visible on the desktop screen.
Question 4: Can I change the name of language Cortana offers?
Solution: Yes, it is very easy. All you have to do is complete 3 steps i.e,
- Click on Ask me anything.
- Click on the Settings tab.
- And last but not least, tap on change my name and a table will appear in front of you which presents the number of languages Cortana offers.
Microsoft introduced us to quite terrific new features. The clever personal assistant called Cortana is one of them, a major part of their discovery. It helps you sail through your computer and makes it easier for you to find the things you want to see. You can either type your request to her or speak it out through your mic – Cortana understands human speech.
However, as with most new products on the software market, no matter how perfectly polished they are, one can face minor drawbacks. Such is the case with Cortana’s search box constantly popping up for no clear reason. Above there we have explained all to how it can be dealt with. The process is quite simple. But still, as it is said “To err is human”, and if you are unable to resolve any sort of issue, we’re here at your service chat section or the comments section at the bottom, just ping onto us!