Do you want to set HP Printer as a Default Printer in Windows 11? If yes, then you are at the right place. This article will help you in setting HP Printer as a Default Printer in Windows 11 using three different methods.
Why do Windows 11 keeps changing the Default Printer?
While printing a document, you always have the option to select a Printer of your choice from the list for printing. However, if you do not wish to make a choice every time you print, you can choose a default printer for all your printing needs.
Your Windows 11 may keep changing the default Printer because Let Windows Manage my default printer option is enabled in the Settings. You will learn to disable it in this article.
Keep scrolling to understand how you can set your HP Printer as the default printer in Windows 11!
Methods to Set your HP Printer as a Default Printer
The three methods discussed below to set your HP Printer as default printer is through Settings, Control Panel, and Command Prompt.
Method 1: Windows Settings
Follow the steps given below to set HP Printer as the default printer in Windows 11 via Settings:
1. Open the Settings by right-clicking your Windows Start button.
2. In the Settings, select Bluetooth and Devices from the list and then tap on Printer & Scanners.
3. Now, ensure that the Let Windows Manage my default printer is toggled to the off position.
4. Next, scroll above to select the Printer you want as default.
5. Lastly, tap Set as default to confirm your Printer as default.
Method 2: Control Panel
Follow the steps given below to set HP Printer as the default printer in Windows 11 via Control Panel:
1. Open the Control Panel by searching it in the Windows search.
2. Now, go to Hardware and Sound and select the Devices and Printers option.
3. Next, right-click your Printer and tap on Set as Default Printer.
Method 3: Command Prompt
Follow the steps given below to set HP Printer as the default printer in Windows 11 via Command Prompt:
1. Firstly, you need to identify the exact name of your Printer. To do that, you need to go to the Control Panel, then Hardware and Sound, and then open Devices and Printers. You will find the name of your Printer there.
2. Now, open the Command Prompt and enter the following command:
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /q /n “Printer name”
You need to enter the name of your Printer in “Printer name” in the given command.
3. Now, go back to the Devices and Printers window to confirm your Default Printer.
Frequently Asked Question
Q1. Can You Set Two Printers as Default?
Answer: No, you cannot set two printers as default. Windows 11 has a built-in mechanism that only supports one default printer.
Q2. Why can’t I set a printer as default?
Answer: It is possible that your Windows 11 keeps changing the default Printer because Let Windows Manage my default printer option is enabled in the Settings. You will learn to disable it in this article.
Q3. How do I change my default printer settings?
Answer: To do so, follow these steps:
1. Open Settings and go to Devices.
2. Then, go to Printers & Scanners.
3. Select the Printer that you want to set as default.
4. Finally, click on Set as Default.
Answer: To fix this issue, follow these steps:
1. Firstly, open the System Settings and go to Devices.
2. Now, select the Printers and Scanners from the devices list.
3. Next, select your Printer and click the Remove device option from the drop-down menu.
4. Click yes when prompted for the deletion.
5. Restart your system. This will lead to your system installing the Printer driver from scratch.
Answer: If your system is showing the “Printer driver unavailable” error when you are trying to print a document, it is because your HP Printer drivers have either been corrupted or are outdated. It is also possible that incompatibility between the driver and windows is causing this issue.
We hope that you will now be able to set your HP Printer as a default printer in Windows 11 without any complications. However, if you are still faced with any issues, you can connect with us via the chat box at the bottom right or through the comment section below to fix that problem. We’ll try to help you solve the issues with Windows 11.